?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Here comes the heat

Greg Fishel on WRAL-TV spelled out the forecast very easily--hot. There's a chance we may get a few showers tonight form the remnants blowing through the area. After that it's hot, sunny and humid thanks to a huge building Bermuda high pressure system.

High temperature for the next 7 days: 97, 99, 99, 99, 98, 98 and 95. We're expecting to set a new all time record for the earliest 100 day in the year.

Ugh. Even today my weather station recorded a peak heat index of 104.1°F at 1750 this evening. I'm so glad I got my parking spot back in the parking deck at work where it will remain cool as a cucumber after a scorching day.

Tags:

Comments

( 10 comments — Leave a comment )
mat_t
Jun. 5th, 2008 10:40 am (UTC)
So how did you lose the parking spot in the first place anyway?
snowboardjoe
Jun. 5th, 2008 12:00 pm (UTC)
Last year I tried really hard to do the bus thing to avoid paying for parking ($65/month), saving gas and reducing pollution overall. After several months it just did not work out (busses not on time, not enough space for seating, more stress, etc.) At least I gave it a good shot. In order to do that I had to give up my parking spot to participate in the commuter assistance program which gets you a FREE regional transit pass on all buses in the triangle area.

So, when I came back I had to get in line again for parking. First available was an exposed lot a few blocks away. The parking deck is much harder to get into (and right across the street). Fortunately 11 years of state service gets me to the head of the line faster.
mat_t
Jun. 5th, 2008 09:26 pm (UTC)
Jumping the line for the win! *G*
snowboardjoe
Jun. 5th, 2008 09:32 pm (UTC)
Oh, dude, you have no idea. Well, maybe you do since you are from NYC. There is only enough parking for about 60% of the faculty, staff and students here. Parking is hard to come by. Mass transit makes up for the other 40%.

I'm totally in favor of mass transit, but it just wasn't practical for where I live and my random schedule.
plannerbear
Jun. 5th, 2008 12:34 pm (UTC)
yeah this weather is not chunky boy friendly when one is trying to walk at least 5 miles a day....!
snowboardjoe
Jun. 5th, 2008 12:38 pm (UTC)
That's awesome that you are trying to walk 5 miles/day. In this heat that becomes a major challenge. I don't mind sweating as long as I'm in workout clothes and can get a shower afterwards.
dan4behr
Jun. 5th, 2008 01:28 pm (UTC)
In weather like this, I move my car around 11:30 to a shady spot in the parking lot. A dark car with black interiour necessitates the move if I don't want to feel like I'm broiling for 1o minutes or so until the a/c cools things down sufficiently.
I have to be out in the weather much of the day Saturday (7am to around 2pm) for our school's graduation day. That'll be fun, won't it?
kauko
Jun. 5th, 2008 02:15 pm (UTC)
I think you stole my post.... frown
snowboardjoe
Jun. 5th, 2008 02:28 pm (UTC)
Don't think of it as stealing. Think of you..., inspiring me. Yeah. :p

It wasn't until last night when I was watching the news and saw that string of 99's across the screen that I decided to post too.

Either way, it's damn hot.
kauko
Jun. 5th, 2008 02:45 pm (UTC)
here's revised forecast for Charlotte

Thursday 97
Friday 98
Saturday 100
Sunday 100
Monday 99
Tuesday 97
( 10 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

April 2012
S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930     

Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow